Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Trips to Graz and Salzburg

Hi Mom.

It was good to hear from you. I wish my internet would work long enough to see if you were even around to chat once in a while. I was just having a hard day yesterday, which was why I was hoping you'd be online. It's alright though, Krystle helped me get out of the funk. The weekend was really fun, I think it was the funnest I've ever had at a church activity. We're making some friends (mostly boys) from institute and we mostly hung out with them all weekend. We took a train there; it ended up being a 5 hour ride instead of 2 because it was a regional train and only cost us each 6 euro. I fell in love with the landscape on the way there. I didn't mind the long train ride at all, I just had my head out the window for most of the ride. I put the pictures on my blog, you've probably seen them. I loved the little towns we passed that were so tightly tucked into the mountainsides, you guys would have loved it. We went to a dance the first night, which was so fun. The Austrians and Germans do a specific dance step that they all know, it reminded me of something from the 50s. A couple boys asked me to dance and they taught me the step since I had never done it before. It was great! The second day we played sports and games all day at a rec center thing in Graz. A few of us did yoga for a while, and then I mostly played variations on frisbee the rest of the day.


I somehow forgot to tell you, but we're leaving early tomorrow morning at 5:30 to go to Salzburg for the rest of the week. We'll be back around 7:30pm on Saturday. We're going with Tom and Louise and the whole group, so you don't need to worry. Salzburg is a 5 hour train ride away, as far as I know. We're staying in the Alps for two days I think and will be doing some hiking -- Dad, I wish you were here. I'm so excited for it, and I'll take lots of pictures.


We had a German test today, I'm hoping it went alright, but I was really stressed out about it. However, I've notice so much progress as I look back. I know how to construct basic sentences, conjugate verbs, can carry on a VERY simple conversation, and know a few hundred German words. We only have four more days of class until the term is over...isn't that crazy?



Thanks for putting more money in my account. I'm trying to be careful about spending; I think we do pretty good. We get a lot of meals free or cheap, so that's working out nicely. Marcus said he got to speak in your class, sounds like you prepared a really good lesson--wish I could have been there for it! I'm excited for your garden, I love summer meals when they come all from the garden. Yum. Awesome that we got kayaks! Did they have fun? Is the weather warm yet? It is still cold and rainy here. There really haven't been hardly any nice, warm days since I've been here.



Well I still haven't packed, so I better get working on that since we're leaving so early.


Give Porter a high five for me and tell someone to get his bullet out (does he remember that game?)

and give Cady a big squeeze and a twirl

and Levi a back slapping hug

and Leah a kiss on the cheek since that's her favorite coming from me haha

and talk to the cats in a baby voice

and the dogs too.


And make sure someone gives Simcoe her medicine at 3pm.


Love you.

kayla

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE reading your letters. Partly because I get to see what you are doing but also the rest of your family! You Idaho Fransons rock!

    ReplyDelete